Saturday, December 11, 2010

True Christmas Treasures



I feel like I just can’t keep myself away from mission trips. 6 weeks after coming back from Africa and I’m on another mission trip but this time closer to home. In fact I feel like the Navajo Reservation is my home. I’ve had the wonderful opportunity of joining my dad, brother, and Flagstaff Mission to the Navajos in bringing a truck and trailer full of presents and giving them out to over a hundred children and parents. I also had the opportunity to teach the kids about the first Christmas and God’s gift to us, leading many to ask Him into their heart for the first time!

I don’t think anything can give me more joy that this. I enjoyed the physical labor of unloading and loading back up many boxes of presents. I enjoyed walking out of my comfort zone with prayer, sharing my testimony, and teaching which now seems normal. I enjoyed making new friends and seeing people the way Jesus sees them. I enjoyed exploring and learning more about my culture with an open mind like I had in South Africa. Most of all, I enjoyed telling kids about my Savior who also saved them and loves them. I’ve felt God’s power and spirit as kids quickly responded and prayed for salvation.

I won’t forget little Devoncly who sat behind everyone else but his big curious eyes that were glued to me couldn’t go unnoticed. Every time I asked if they understood he shook his head, so I explained further. When it looked like the light bulb finally lit up, I asked who wanted Jesus in their hearts and he was the first to raise his hand as if I was handing out candy. Thirteen kids made that decision just then. I talked to each one personally at the end and Devoncly said he was 7 years old and he had Jesus in his heart now.

No comments:

Post a Comment